How to Clean Your Hot Tub Filter: A Step-by-Step GuidePosted: October 12, 2022
Keeping your hot tub filter clean will make you comfortable spending quality time in your tub as you unwind and relax. If you leave them dirty and unattended, the water will be filthy, and you won’t be comfortable using the hot tub. For this reason, it is imperative to create a maintenance schedule to be certain that the hot tub filter is cleaned regularly. Ensure you clean the filter properly using the right cleaning supplies and tools. Here is a guide to properly cleaning your hot tub filter and keeping your water clean.
Hot Tub Filter Cleaning Tools and Supply List
Before you begin, it’s important to make sure you have the right tools for the job. This is what we recommend:
- Water hose
- Large bucket
- Cartridge cleaner
- A Stiff bristled brush
Bonus: NEVER run your hot tub without a filter. If you want to be able to keep your hot tub running, buy a secondary filter to use while cleaning. You’ll be able to keep the hot tub on, and you’ll already have a filter on hand when it comes time for a replacement.
How to Clean Your Hot Tub Filter
Weekly Filter Rinse for Your Hot Tub
Hot tub weekly filter cleaning can take about 5 to 10 minutes. Pull out the filters from the hot tub and clean thoroughly using clean water to remove the buildup from the filter. You can use water from a hose or the faucet.
Spread apart each pleat, ensuring you get between them for a more efficient outcome. This enables you to remove dirt, hair, and debris from the filter. Make the water stream gentle to avoid breaking or tearing the filter. Let the filter dry completely before putting it back in the hot tub.
Cleaning the hot tub filter weekly will prevent the accumulation of debris and chemical from damaging the filter material.
Monthly Hot Tub Filter Chemical Cleaning
In addition to weekly cleaning, you should consider cleaning your hot tub filter monthly or more often as needed. Monthly chemical cleaning can take about 20 to 30 minutes to get the job done. Here are steps to follow when cleaning your hot tub filter.
- Get a cleaning solution and keep it ready for an effective outcome
- Fill the bucket with water and cleaning solution
- Turn off the hot tub to avoid clogged pump impellers and compromised water quality
- Pull out the filter and check for the underlying problems
- If you notice discoloration on the filter, dispose of it off and replace it with a new one
- Rinse and remove dirt, hair, leaves, and debris between the pleats
- Soak the filter in the cleaning solution and leave it to stay overnight for an effective outcome
- Once the filter socks for hours, rinse it again to remove any remaining residue
- Let the filter dry completely and follow the manual to install it in the hot tub.
Quarterly Hot Tub Filter Chemical Cleaning
Your hot tub filter’s efficiency depends on the energy you are willing to put in. Quarterly chemical cleaning using the right substances will prolong your filters and keep them working efficiently.
- Dilute the cartridge cleaner with water as per the instruction in the manual
- Submerge the hot tub filter into the mixture in a large bucket
- Let it rest for 24 hours or overnight, depending on the time you are cleaning
- Thoroughly rinse the filter and let it dry completely before putting it back in the tub
When using tub filter cleaner, ensure you follow the instructions carefully to avoid mistakes that can damage and compromise the quality of your filter.
Use Quality Cleaning Products for Effective Outcome
It is important to remember that using the right cleaning supplies and products will not only prolong the life of your filter, but also save you money in the long run. Buy it right, or buy it twice.
Need more information on filter cleaning or other general maintenance? Great Bay Spa & Sauna has you covered. We have a highly knowledgable staff who are ready to help. Contact us today or stop by our new showroom!